Kotlin Essentials book is finally ready!
I am happy to announce, that the book Kotlin Essentials is finally ready. This is an extremely important book for me, because it starts the Kotlin for Developers series, which is my ultimate series, teaching Kotlin from essentials to advanced topics.
I am really satisfied with the book, even though it is not an easy job to propery lay down foundations for understanding a programming. But my feeling is that the book reads nicely, and includes many practical examples and suggestions. It is a result of experience, this book is based on my workshop Kotlin for Developer workshop, which I conducted over 100 times already. I hope you will enjoy reading this book as much as I enjoyed writing it.
This book was also influenced by its amazing technical reviewers. This team includes Owen Griffiths, Nicola Corti, Matthias Schenk, Endre Deak, Emanuele Papa, Roman Kamyshnikov and Grigory Pletnev. They all made significant contributions to this book. Language revision was done by Michael Timberlake. Without all of them, this book would not be as good.
Where can you find this book?
What is this book about?
This book covers the essentials of Kotlin, so you can start developing with this amazing programming language. It shows nearly everything you need to know in clear and executable code examples.
Who is this book for?
What is covered in the book?
This book focuses on the essential Kotlin features, including:
- variables, values, and types,
- conditional statements and loops,
- support for nullability,
- classes, interfaces, and inheritance,
- object expressions and declarations,
- data, sealed, enum, and annotation classes,
- extension functions,
- operator overloading,
- the type system,
Kotlin for developers
This book is a part of Kotlin for Developers series. It is my ultimate series, teaching Kotlin from essentials to advanced topics. Each of its books can be read independently, but together they form a complete picture.
The whole series includes:
- Kotlin Essentials, which covers all the basic Kotlin features.
- Functional Kotlin, which is dedicated to functional Kotlin features, including function types, lambda expressions, collection processing, DSLs, and scope functions.
- Kotlin Coroutines: Deep Dive, which covers all the features of Kotlin Coroutines, including how to use and test them, using flow, best practices, and the most common mistakes.
- Advanced Kotlin, which is dedicated to advanced Kotlin features, including generic variance modifiers, delegation, multiplatform programming, annotation processing, KSP, and compiler plugins.
- Effective Kotlin: Best Practices, which is about the best practices of Kotlin programming.
More about the book on this page.